Gigabit Ethernet, VLAN and Network Security
Client Type: National Medical/Computer Training School
Design and implement centrally administered, high performance student network systems in three school locations.
- Local networks must be maintenance free, high bandwidth and centrally administered.
- Local networks must provide dynamic port and classroom network isolation for training and security purposes.
- Designed and implemented a Cisco switch communications system with gigabit ethernet backbones, dynamic Virtual
LAN (VLAN) capabilities and level 3 routing between VLAN’s for centralized management.
- Designed and implemented an inter-site Cisco router system with VPN encryption over existing Internet
- Designed and implemented Cisco firewalls with Internet filtering services for restricted access into and out of
- Installed over 1000 category 5e connections with redundant category 6 backbone connections, for gigabit
ethernet connectivity between closet and backbone switches
- Utilized high performance Compaq servers to handle software and PC image distribution.
- Utilized Windows 2000 Active Directory to centrally administer domain servers and user authentication.
- Utilized Novell’s ZENworks to automate software synchronization and updates.
- Utilized PCAnywhere for server and PC remote management and configurations.
- Implemented entire project on time and under budget.
- Provides dynamic isolation of ports and classrooms while maintaining centralized management and a common
- Blocked student access to un-authorized web sites and e-mail services.
- Eliminated the need for a local administrator in each school, effectively saving the company over $120,000.00
- Saved company $1000’s each month by utilizing the Internet for secure inter-school WAN communications.
- Saved customer over $10,000.00 by implementing new gigabit ethernet technology as opposed to fiber for backbone